The Climate Mobilization Project
Margaret Klein (The Climate Psychologist) is one of the founders of The Climate Mobilization project. Although this project is focused on the American climate change challenge, people all around the globe are increasingly aware and deeply concerned about the survival of future generations in a progressively hostile climate. I urge BoomerWarrior followers from North America to Europe to Australia to support this campaign. (Rolly Montpellier~Managing Editor)
Sometimes doing your best is not good enough. Sometimes you must do what is required. Winston Churchill
The Climate Mobilization Project
The Climate Mobilization is a growing group of people who know that climate change threatens the collapse of civilization within this century. We believe, along with many well-respected scientists and environmental analysts, that the only way to preserve a climate that is safe, stable, and supportive of human civilization is to fight climate change with a World War II-scale mobilization.
The Pledge to Mobilize – a political platform and social movement strategy – is a tool that can make this possible.
View the slideshow (for an overview!)
Signers publicly acknowledge climate change as a threat to civilization and call on the US Federal Government to instigate a WWII scale mobilization to fight back. Signers pledge their support to politicians who have also signed the Pledge, and, critically, promise to spread the Pledge to others– their friends, family, and communities. In this way the Pledge is both a democracy re-boot and a viral strategy.
The Pledge was designed to overcome psychological, cultural, and technological barriers to engagement in order to make the climate crisis real for people and bring about a cultural transformation.
- Commence a five-year mobilization, on the scale of the WWII home front mobilization, to preserve a climate that is safe, stable, and supportive of human civilization.
- Reduce national carbon emissions by at least 76% in 5 years, at a rate of no less than 25% per year.
- Create a Climate Mobilization Corps, tens of millions strong, which will implement adaptation measures and rapidly expand our post-carbon energy infrastructure and agricultural systems.
- Conduct this mobilization in accordance with the Constitution, and ensure that the essential needs of the civilian economy are met during this transition.
- Exert diplomatic and international pressure to enlist allied nations in this heroic fight against social, economic, and environmental chaos.
**Full Pledge text available in the gallery**
The Pledge’s demands are not idle words.
Signing the Pledge to Mobilize commits you to supporting political candidates, on the local, state, and national level, who have also signed the Pledge. This creates a challenge, and an opportunity, for sitting politicians and their opponents: Will they sign? Will they acknowledge that climate change threatens the collapse of civilization and muster the courage to fight back? As more people take the Pledge, it will become an ever more effective political tool.
Spreading the Pledge can transform our culture of denial into one of truth, courage, and active engagement.
Rather than finding a “politically realistic” solution that does not address the scientific realities and cannot prevent the collapse of civilization, our goal is to fundamentally alter what is realistic. Spreading the Pledge can instigate millions of conversations about climate change, fostering a culture of dedicated emergency response. The media will stop asking politicians, “Do you believe in climate change?” and start asking them, “Will you fight for civilization or not?”
- View our slideshow for an overview of the Climate Mobilization and the Pledge to Mobilize.
- Read our strategy document Rising to the Challenge of Our Time, Together for a thorough description of our plans and strategy.
- Visit the Gallery to see a mockup of the website we want to build, as well as the full text of the Pledge.
We are ready to start spreading the Pledge to Mobilize. But we need help.
By raising only $20,000 we will be able to launch the Pledge to Mobilize nationally. Your donation will help us get there. We will use (approximately):
- $10,000 on programming
- $6,000 on design
- $1,000 for legal and miscellaneous expenses, such as web hosting
- $3,000 to keep in the bank for unanticipated costs that come with launch.
**NB The Climate Mobilization is a 501c(4) Non-Profit. This status allows us to pursue a political agenda. Unfortunately, however, it means that donations are not tax deductible.**
Our initial goal is to help the 5.4 million Americans who are “alarmed” about climate change mobilize themselves with maximum efficacy. Our ultimate goal is a climate that is safe, stable, and supportive of human civilization. We hope that you donate, that you work with us, and that you sign the Pledge and mobilize with us!
Margaret Klein is a therapist turned advocate. She is the founder of The Climate Mobilization, a psychologically based social movement strategy and political platform, and the author of The Climate Psychologist. She will receive her doctorate in Clinical Psychology from Adelphi University and is currently completing a Psychology Internship at The William Alanson White Institute.